Do you have a child in grade two or three that would benefit from extra help with reading? GCHC volunteers provide one-on-one support to help children achieve greater success in school.
This program is offered weekly after school at the Tweed Public Library, on Wednesdays and Centre Hastings Secondary School, on Thursdays, from October to May.
In partnership with local primary schools, students who are beginning to learn literacy skills and would benefit from additional support are referred to the program.
What to expect:
- Early intervention helps your child develop strong basic skills.
- All students gain a boost of confidence in their own ability to master this fundamental skill.
- Many of the Gateway volunteers for this program are former teachers or educational assistants.
- With strong reading skills students achieve greater academic success.
- Children interact with their peers and understand they are not alone.
- Fun, effective, hands-on teaching methods.
- Take home material is available to reinforce learning concepts.
- Great volunteer opportunity for high school students and community members.
- Access your community library.